Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (VASH)

The “Housing and Urban Development-Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing” (HUD-VASH)Program provides permanent housing subsidies and case management services to homeless veterans with mental and addictive disorders through a collaboration of the Departments of Housing and Urban Development and Veteran Affairs. A total of 1019 HUD-VASH vouchers have been awarded to the Orange County Housing Authority (OCHA) to date.

Eligibility and Selection Criteria

The National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal year 2021 (PL 116-283), included provisions expanding eligibility for HUD-VASH.  The law went into effect on January 01, 2021.

Veterans enrolled in HUD-VASH, but otherwise ineligible for VA health care services, may receive case management and supported services offered by HUD-VASH providers through the local VAMC’s HUD-VASH program.  Veterans served under the new legislation may not be eligible for additional healthcare services offered by the VA and should be linked to community resources/services for support.

  • Eligible for HUD-VASH:
    • Honorable Discharge
    • General Discharge
    • Other than Honorable Discharge
    • Bad Conduct Discharge (from a special court-martial)
  • Ineligible for HUD-VASH:
    • Dishonorable Discharge
    • Bad Conduct Discharge (from a general court-martial)
  • OCHA will not have authority to maintain a waiting list or apply local preferences for HUD-VASH vouchers
  • Regulatory requirements for Housing Choice Vouchers apply to HUD-VASH

Who should you call?

For directions to the CRRC and to schedule an appointment, please call (844) 838-8300 or          (714) 562-9803.  You may also dial 2-1-1 to be connected to a CES access point for veterans.